May 28, 2010

Moving Forward...Now What??

We’re moving forward now, and while that’s so exciting, it’s frightening too. I guess that sounds strange to most of you. We’ve been in this state of limbo for so long where absolutely nothing was moving forward. It became very easy to sort of disconnect from the reality of the situation and get lost in the long months of waiting. When you get stuck in the quagmire of a lengthy adoption process, it’s easy to get wrapped up in the process, and forget about the product.

So, here we are actually moving forward! So, my thoughts start moving towards the practicalities of bringing *W* home, and the simple logistics that will be involved in our daily life. I use a guide dog for mobility. As far as we know, *W* has had no formal mobility training in Thailand. We plan to bring her a cane when we go get her. However, I haven’t quite worked out how we’re going to move from place to place effectively, as a family, yet. We’re taking a jog stroller to Thailand as well, because from what I’ve heard the streets are very dangerous and chaotic. People drive wildly, and we don’t want to lose her before we leave the country!

The boys and I have been visiting my parents at their home in Venice, Florida. We’ve been going to the beach, and swimming in the pool. We’ve also been shopping and going out to eat quite a bit. So, this again brings up the thought of how exactly are we going to pull this off smoothly once *W* gets here. I must admit that, at this moment, I’m not sure how it’s all going to work. I’m glad both my boys are older and don’t mind helping out. When I was her age, I went everywhere sighted guide, so that may be the option that works best until she gets older. She can hold onto carts in stores, and she can start using her cane in areas that will be easy for her to navigate. She’s still a tiny little thing, so we’ll use a stroller at times too.

Of course, our other big concern is her emotional well being during the transition time. I can’t imagine how hard it is for these kids to be uprooted from everything they’ve ever known. We see it as a life with no future, and it is that for certain. These kids don’t think in those terms though. They just think like every other child. They are used to their life as it is, and they are attached to those who care for them. The way these adoptions are handled make things very traumatic and difficult on the kids. We will essentially show up at the children’s home, be introduced to *W* as her parents, and we will leave with her. We may take her back to say goodbye one more time. Otherwise, that’s all there is to it. She will be prepared in advance for our arrival, but nothing can really prepare a child for the huge change that is about to come.

We are praying and believe that God will give her peace beyond understanding during this difficult time. We are praying that she will bond with us immediately, and that she will rest knowing that she is safe, protected and loved. We are praying for grace and love and patience as we undertake this next part of our lives. We will need wisdom and guidance as we love this little girl and lead her to Jesus.

Melissa

4 comments:

  1. Continuing to pray for you and your family. What an exciting opportunity for your family. Definitely something you can help her through as a parent with visual impairment, that will give you some insight and understanding of her situation and need for time to adjust. Thanks for sharing your story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Melissa,
    Your loving concern already for your daughter is evident. It is true that the streets and sidewalks of Bangkok are quite dangerous. Be very careful, as there are many broken, uneven tiles sticking up that you can trip on. How old is your daughter? Our daughter was thirteen when she came home. At first she'd get angry a lot and told me that she couldn't trust people easily. When she finally was able to cry she told me that she never did cry when the teachers/nannies beat her. But, she said the reason she cries now if we discipline her is because she loves us. Now she is very loving and growing more and more secure. An electronic dictionary was our main tool for communicating in the beginning. But, now her English is so good that she never touches it. We've been home for sixteen months. Our daughter now does love Jesus. She wanted to be baptized just 10 months after coming home. I totally understand your feelings of putting your emotions/thoughts, etc. of the final product on hold. It is SUCH a long wait that it's the only way you can function. I remember wishing I could buy her clothes, but knowing I couldn't because I had no idea what size she'd be when she'd come home. So, I waited until the last minute. Even then I just bought a few items, because I wasn't sure if they'd fit or not and I brought along a few donated items. And I bought more in Thailand. Even though she was thirteen she wore size 10. I used Land's End's sizing chart with the info they gave us on her weight and height closest to the time we were leaving to guess her size. It seemed to be accurate.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chandra: I've been reading your blog for at least 2+ years now. Long before Penny came home. Your journey has been an encouragement to me as we've traveled the LONG road of seemingly endless waiging! I'm honored that you are reading my blog. *W* is 8, just had a birthday in the beginning of May. I'd love to share more details with you that I can't share on the open blog. God is so good to provide people who have walked the same path thru the internet! God bless you guys! Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  4. I REALLY relate to your post. You guys are farther along than we are, but the waiting makes me feel like it's not real. We've done the stressful homestudy and dossier paperwork. Now we wait. And try to explain to people when they ask about the adoption.
    I am so excited for you! It's finally here. You guys will figure out the best way to work around things. Is there someone "on the ground" in Thailand that can help and give recommendations?
    BTW, it does my heart good to hear of someone that uses a dog for mobility. I'm a puppy raiser for Guiding Eyes for the Blind.
    Blessings to you and your family,
    Kelsey

    ReplyDelete